A Bit of a Tough Week- COVID Finally Catches Up With Us

COVID Rears its Ugly Head


We have had a bit of a hard week this week, but not everything in life can be perfect.  The biggest headline for this week is a COVID diagnosis in the house. I knew it was coming eventually, and I'm just happy that it hit us now after everyone is fully vaccinated.  Though, honestly, I am really frustrated that the day someone tested positive is the day that they approved boosters for younger kids.  Though, even if they had a booster there is no guarantee they wouldn't have still gotten sick.

Also, I knew it was coming. COVID is everywhere here right now.  Sounds like is everywhere in the United States as well though. When I learned that one of the girls' closest friends here had tested positive, I figured it was only a matter of days. Frustratingly, I was trying to arrange for an extra bed for our extra room to be at the house so we would have more quarantine options in the house before it hit, and the positive test result came the same day the bed was supposed to be delivered. So the delivery was cancelled. 

So far only one of us is sick, and thankfully the symptoms are pretty mild. The ACT (Australian Capital Territory-- the Australian state we live in) had recently changed their guidelines, so that household contacts of COVID positive people no longer HAVE to strictly quarantine. As long as a student tests negative for COVID on a rapid test, they can go to school if they are symptom free and wear a mask indoors. Each workplace can decide for itself if they will allow household contacts to come to work. Out of an abundance of caution, Mike and I will be home for 7 calendar days after the last positive result. Right now that puts us out all next week, but if someone else tests positive, the seven days resets. It is a little frustrating, but I really don't want to be the reason why someone gets sick. 

We are trying to use the time to get this house in better order and frankly to maybe plan some travel. In some ways it is a gift of time to get that stuff done without any guilt about not being at work. Right now not being at work is the nicest thing we could do for our colleagues, so we are just hanging out at home.

Here is hoping that no one else catches it. Or if they do, that it is mild.  

Bye Bye Plates

The same day I found that one of the girls' friends had COVID, I was met with another undesirable situation.  I went to pick up the kids from school and realized that both of my license plates were missing from my car.  We assume they were taken off the car in the middle of night at home, but we have no real way of knowing.  It was a bit of an inconvenience, but all in all it could have been worse. I filed my first police report, I have a case number, and I figure they will never find my plates, but if they do show up somewhere and involved in a crime, I won't be blamed. 

The next morning I had to go to the ACT version of the MVA (Called Access Canberra)  and get new plates. It sucks a bit that I had to pay for another set, but at least they weren't too expensive.  I still need to change my insurance to reflect the new plate number and put the plates back on my car (we haven't needed to go anywhere since we got the new plates since we got the COVID diagnosis). We got some "anti-theft" screws that will hopefully deter another theft. 

Election Time

While we were at Access Canberra we got a look at Australian electioneering. They are voting for a new national government today actually. There was an early voting center right across from Access Canberra so we got to see all the signs and campaigners. They condense all the election crazy into a much shorter time period here.  It is quite nice to NOT have to deal with this for a solid two years.



 I'm a little disappointed that we are all quarantined, as I had planned on checking out a polling place on Election Day so we could experience a phenomenon here called "democracy sausage."  I had never heard of it before moving here. According to this article, the term "democracy sausage" was coined in 2012 and it describes buying and eating a sizzled sausage (they have "sausage sizzles" here, which basically mean a cook-out) outside of of the polling both. The article notes that this has become a rite of passage in which Australians celebrate coming to gather as a nation to choose a new government and celebrating no matter which side wins.  It is a beautiful thing if you ask me. 

The democracy sausage sizzles tend to raise money for worth causes. They are not thrown by party supporters trying to entice voters.  Because many polling booths are located in schools, election days were a good opportunity to raise funds. 

There are websites and news articles that show Australians where they can find "democracy sausage" and if there will be more than just sausage at a particular polling place. For example, they may also have a bake sale where you can get cakes and cookies. Many Election Day stalls have even expanded their offerings to have vegan and halal offerings. 

Other interesting facts on voting in Australia:

- Federal voting takes place on Saturdays and has since 1913.

- Voting is compulsory in Australia. Everyone who is legally able to vote, must be register to vote, and must turn up to vote in an election. If you don't vote and don't have a "valid and sufficient reason" you will be fined. 

That's what I've got for now on elections.  There are many other differences between elections in the U.S. and Australia, but I've run out of steam to describe them.

A Final Note

One other note from this week. We had a few really clear nights, and we can see SO many more stars here than in Maryland.  The girls are really excited by this and want to star gaze, but as it is fall here, it is a bit cold outside for it.  Here is Lauren trying to stargaze in our driveway.  This didn't last long as it was too cold.  I can't wait until we get out into a more rural area for a vacation, as I assume it will be even better star gazing. it will be on our list for the summer time.  





 

Comments